Friday, February 21, 2014

The GI Virus has taken over our home:


We left for vacation last Sunday, and we did have a really great time (more on our wonderful ski trip next week) until our last day... 
Charli woke up projectile vomiting (which she has never done). After cleaning and washing our room in the condo and all of Charli's bedding (thank the Lord we had a washer and dryer in our condo) we were going to play it by ear on the rest of the day. Well after nap, the projectile vomit commenced again... this time twice, and one time directly onto Steven's face (eww gross). Round two of cleaning and disinfecting the entire room and round two of more laundry. 
She never had a fever and acted normal minus her normal appetite and we thought maybe we got her some bad milk or something.  So we went outside for some more fresh air, she wanted nothing for dinner, then it was an early bed time for all since we were leaving in the morning. 

Thankfully Charli woke up Wednesday morning, no puke, no diarrhea, we packed the car, and headed out. About 10 minutes into our 8 hour drive home, I started to feel nauseous. I wasn't sure if it was the driving down the winding roads on the mountain (I get super motion sickness), or me being pregnant (my morning sickness kind of turned into afternoon sickness). But I held strong and fought through and slept through what was seeming to get worst. 

Until all of a sudden, I knew I couldn't go any longer... Steven found the next exit, I ran to the bathroom, and the rest... Well you can guess...

Needless to say, the rest of our drive home was me getting VERY sick. 

As soon as we made it home, Steven started getting very very sick as well.

(I'm still amazed that my best friend and her boyfriend managed to not catch whatever we have)

And the rest of our week has looked like this...

Me being rushed to the Emergency Room the night we got home because I literally couldn't keep a single sip of water down and my Doctor was worried about the baby. Having to get 2 bags of IV fluid and Zofran to make life livable for the night. Coming home to a husband who had thrown up 50+ plus times and looked like death. Thank god my doctor had sent home a Zofran for him so he could get some rest.

The next morning required a visit to my OB to take another look at the baby because I was  still so sick (baby looks great and heartbeat is strong) Praise The Lord!

Steven going to the Doctor and having to get 2 IV bags for himself and his own prescriptions since he was so dehydrated and sick.

Finally being able to keep a glass of Gatorade down.

Being told the only thing you can eat and drink is Gatorade, popsicles, and chicken broth until we could all keep everything down.

Lots of sleeping.

Lots of pajama wearing.

And lots of disinfecting.

I am pleased to report though, that nobody has thrown up today (woohoo), we have all been able to have 1 piece of toast, and thankfully Charli is getting her appetite back! 

It has probably been some of the roughest past couple of days I have ever had, but I am so thankful that it is nothing worst than a stupid GI Virus, and we are on meds, and I think we can all see the light at the end of the tunnel! 

The absolute worst part of this whole experience wasn't being sick myself, it was that my husband and baby were sick too and I couldn't take care of them like I would want too. Steven and I had to tag team to take care of Charli and Steven somehow managed to be able to go to the Store to get our prescriptions and Gatorade, but other than that we had to take care of ourselves and that was rough.

Now if all of this could just go away so we can enjoy what is supposed to be a beautiful sunny and 75 degree weekend... 


  1. Oh my goodness, how horrible!!! 50+ times?! I can't even imagine. Glad you guys are starting to feel better, what a nasty virus! :(

  2. Oh, how miserable! I am so sorry. That's awful. Glad to hear everyone, including baby, is okay and that you're on the mend.

  3. Hope you guys are good as new as soon as possible!