Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11:

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day
Out in the yard with your wife and children
Working on some stage in LA
Did you stand there in shock at the site of
That black smoke rising against that blue sky
Did you shout out in anger
In fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry

Did you weep for the children
Who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below

Did you burst out in pride
For the red white and blue
The heroes who died just doing what they do
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself to what really matters...

-Alan Jackson


I will never forget on this very day, 12 years ago, I had just started my junior year of High School. I was sitting in class, when one of our teachers ran into our room yelling "turn on the news, turn on the news." We all watched in utter shock at what was taking place... "Is this really happening?" "Is this a dream?" I seriously could not believe my own eyes as we watched the second plane come crashing in..... 
Steven has family in New York and a Great Uncle and Cousin who served as New York Police Officers (who thankfully all stayed safe during this horrible tragedy)... Steven was just a young sailor who was already 3 years in to his Naval Career; he was stationed aboard the Fast Attack Submarine USS HAMPTON in Norfolk, Virginia when the planes came down. I am so proud to call him my husband and to know he has served this country at home and away for the past 16 years, and has done it proudly, and will continue to, in good times and in bad.

I ask that everyone take time out of his or her day to Remember... Remember those who are no longer with us, Remember those who lost their loved ones, Remember those who are still suffering from this horrible tragedy, and Remember all of our Men and Women serving in all forms of 'uniforms'. 
I can't believe it's been 12 years. 

***

These days what is important to me is completely different than what was important to me on September 11th, 2001.  I feel that this new perspective on how I view tragic events around the world is due to my role as a mother and wife.  To think that one-day Charli will read about 9/11 in her history books and begin to question these senseless acts of violence. I can only hope that when that day comes I can somehow find the right words to answer our little girl. 

I hope that we can always continue to teach our little girl the right lessons, values, and morals, and that she will never have to know 'terrorism' or the evil that is out there in the world. We can't protect her from everything forever, but I know we sure will try!



I pray that as Charli grows older, all she knows is peace on Earth.

***

And if you have time, please go and visit my dear friend Kate over at Daffodil's, who just recently had her third son, and posted the most heart warming story from 9/11, which was their inspiration for his name!  
(you won't be dissapointed you did, trust me!) 



Always Remember, Never Forget


2 comments:

  1. I was in cooking class... 12 years has flown by. Hopefully our children never have to experience something like this.
    Love Charli's onesie too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in 7th grade on my way to school. Loved this post! We so easily forget. Thanks for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete